Student Services FAQ

Last Updated: 7/12/2021 5:30 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is an IEP?
The Individualized Education Program (IEP) is the cornerstone of a quality education for each child with a disability. Each public school child who receives special education and related services must have an IEP. Each IEP must be designed for one student and must be a truly individualized document. The IEP creates an opportunity for teachers, parents, school administrators, related services personnel, and students (when appropriate) to work together to improve educational results for children with disabilities.

2. What is the difference between an IEP and 504 Plan?
Section 504 is a broad federal civil rights law that protects all individuals with a handicap.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) only applies to students who require special education because they have one of the specified types of disabilities.
Students who qualify under section 504 must have a 504 plan that outlines the services to be provided. Some students will also qualify under the more stringent IDEA. Students that qualify under 504 and IDEA will have an IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) rather than a 504 plan.
See the FAQ from the U.S. Department of Education - FAQ from the U.S. Department of Education

​3. Who should I contact if I am concerned about my child’s development and he/she is 3 years old or younger?
​Help Me Grow of Erie County

4. Who should I contact if I have concerns regarding my child’s development and he/she is between the ages of three and five, but not in kindergarten?
Perkins Schools provides early intervention opportunities for children ages three to five who have special needs in one of the following areas, based on state and federal guidelines: Language, Cognition, Motor Skills, Adaptive Behavior, or Social-Emotional Development. As part of our Child Find responsibilities, the district completes two annual community screenings to further explore parent concerns (fall and spring). Please contact Student Services to express your concerns and/or learn more about how to address these concerns with your preschool-aged child.  

5. My child will not be five by the district’s kindergarten enrollment date of September 31st, however, I believe he/she is ready for kindergarten, what should I do?
Please read this document about Early Entrance to Kindergarten.

6. I have concerns regarding my child’s academic/behavioral skills at school, what should I do?
Begin by having a conversation with your child’s teacher to collaborate regarding how Perkins may further support your child. They will be able to explain what they understand about your child’s behavior in a classroom setting.

7. My child was evaluated by a private psychologist and diagnosed with a mental/physical impairment, how do I go about exploring school-based supports and with whom should I share the private report?
Please contact the School Psychologist in your child’s building:
• Furry Elementary School – Ryan Mock by email  or by phone at 419-625-4352
• Meadowlawn Intermediate School, Briar Middle School and Perkins High School – Dr. Hillary Turner by email or by phone at 419-625-1252

8. Does my child qualify for gifted services?
Gifted Brochure

9. What is school-aged childcare?
Pirates Crew Handbook

10. Due to economic hardship, my family is living in a hotel, shelter, or other living situation that is not consistent. Who can I contact to explore resources and support?
​Sarah Hickey, Perkins Schools Social Worker, by email or by phone at 419-625-1252